基礎學英語零基礎學英語

遲到的各種理由,堵車,生病...你會表達嗎?

本文已影響 5.33K人 

You’re late, you’re flustered and in a panic about how your boss is going to react when you get to work or how your mother-in-law is going to feel about you missing the birthday cake. We’ve all been late at one point in our lives and it’s important to have a store of excuses for when you are in trouble!

遲到的各種理由,堵車,生病...你會表達嗎?

你遲到了,你很慌亂,擔心你的老闆會在你上班時做出什麼反應,或者你的婆婆會對你錯過生日蛋糕有什麼感覺。在我們的生活中,我們都遲到了,當你遇到麻煩的時候,有一大堆藉口是很重要的!


These excuses that we have ever so graciously put together for you will get you out of any situation you’re put in. Be careful not to use them too often though, people will start realising that you are making up excuses! The other option of course is to be on time and punctual, but who really has the time and the patience to do that?

我們爲你精心編造的這些藉口將使你擺脫任何處境。但是要小心不要經常使用,人們會開始意識到你在編造藉口!另一個選擇當然是準時,但是誰真正有時間和耐心去做呢?


Let’s take a look at the categories by which  we are going to classify our excuses:

讓我們來看看我們將根據哪些類別來對藉口進行分類:


Traffic

交通


Family problems

家庭問題


Alarm clock

鬧鐘


Public transport

公共交通


Car problems

汽車問題


Police problems

警察問題


Doctor’s appointment

醫生預約


Weather

天氣


There will be new terms in each dialogue that will be put in bold. Then at the end of the dialogue we will explain the terms one by one.

每一個對話中都會有一些粗體字。然後在對話結束時,我們將逐一解釋這些術語。


So, let’s get started!

所以,我們開始吧!


Traffic

交通

Traffic can ruin anyone’s day.

交通會毀了任何人的一天。


If you have to drive long distances to get to work it’s likely that you will run into traffic, which is when cars, buses and other vehicles have to form long lines due to the amount of people trying to use the roads. You can spend hours of your life sat in traffic, isn’t that sad?

如果你要開很長的路去上班,很可能會遇到交通堵塞,也就是說,汽車、公共汽車和其他車輛必須排起長隊,因爲要使用道路的人太多了。你可以花上幾個小時坐在車流中,不是嗎?


So, if you don’t want to cycle or walk to work here is a sample dialog of an excuse using traffic.

所以,如果你不想騎車或步行上班,這裏有一個使用交通工具的藉口的示例對話框。


RIA: DAMIAN, YOU’RE 20 MINUTES LATE!

莉亞:達米安,你遲到了20分鐘!


DAMIAN: YEAH, I’M SORRY RIA, I GOT STUCK IN TRAFFIC.

戴米安:是的,對不起,瑞亞,我堵車了。


RIA: STUCK IN TRAFFIC? ARE YOU SURE YOU DIDN’T JUST LEAVE LATE?

裏婭:堵車?你確定你不只是遲到嗎?


DAMIAN: HONESTLY! I TAKE THE MOTORWAY TO WORK AND IT WAS COMPLETELY GRIDLOCKED. IT’S BECAUSE I HAVE TO TRAVEL IN RUSH HOUR.

達米安:說實話!我走高速公路去上班,交通完全堵塞了。因爲我得在高峯時間旅行。


RIA: HM, WELL I STILL THINK THAT YOU SHOULD BE LEAVING EARLIER. THIS IS THE SIXTH TIME THIS MONTH THAT YOU’VE BEEN LATE AND IT’S NOT ACCEPTABLE.

瑞亞:嗯,我還是覺得你應該早點走。這是你這個月第六次遲到,這是不可接受的。


DAMIAN: COME ON RIA, WHAT CAN I DO ABOUT TRAFFIC? IT’S NOT MY FAULT!

達米安:來吧,瑞亞,我能怎麼處理交通問題?這不是我的錯!


RIA: THAT’S TRUE, BUT PLEASE TRY TO PLAN AHEAD FOR TRAFFIC INCIDENTS IN FUTURE.

RIA:是的,但是請儘量提前爲將來的交通事故做好準備。


DAMIAN: OKAY, I WILL GET UP EARLIER AND I WILL TRY TO LISTEN TO THE TRAFFIC UPDATES ON THE RADIO BEFORE I LEAVE. THAT WAY I CAN PLAN AN ALTERNATIVE ROUTE IF I NEED TO.

戴米安:好的,我會早點起牀,在離開之前我會試着聽收音機裏的交通動態。這樣,如果我需要的話,我可以計劃另一條路線。


RIA: THAT SOUNDS GOOD, DAMIAN, THANK YOU.

聽起來不錯,達米安,謝謝。


DAMIAN: YOU’RE WELCOME, RIA, I APOLOGISE.

達米安:不客氣,瑞亞,我道歉。


traffic vocabulary words

交通詞彙


Stuck in traffic

堵車


When you have to drive slowly or stop because of the number of vehicles on the road.

當你因爲路上的車輛太多而不得不慢行或停車時。


Motorway

高速公路


A large road that is designed for lots of vehicles to travel at high speed.

爲許多車輛高速行駛而設計的一條大路。


Gridlocked

陷入僵局


When traffic is so bad that cars cannot move.

當交通狀況很糟糕,汽車無法行駛時。


Rush hour

高峯時間


An extremely busy period on the roads when people are travelling to work or running errands. This is usually at 8 AM and 5 PM.

當人們外出工作或跑腿時,道路上極其繁忙的時期。通常是早上8點和下午5點。


Traffic incidents

交通事故


Bad things that have happened to cause traffic, this could be a car accident or an animal might be on the road.

已經發生的導致交通事故的壞事,這可能是一場車禍,也可能是動物在路上。


Traffic updates

流量更新


Usually on the radio or television, there are presenters that watch the traffic and give people news on which roads are busy. This means that people can avoid traffic.

通常在廣播或電視上,有主持人觀看交通狀況,告訴人們哪些道路繁忙。這意味着人們可以避開交通。


Alternative route

備選路線


A different way of getting to a destination and avoiding traffic.

到達目的地和避開交通的另一種方式。


excuses for being late because of family problems

因家庭問題遲到的藉口


Family problems

家庭問題

There are so many excuses you can use that involve your family and if you have no problem in blaming them for something that is probably your fault, then you’re onto a goldmine here!

有那麼多的藉口可以讓你的家人蔘與進來,如果你能毫無疑問地把可能是你的錯歸咎於他們,那麼你就有了一個金礦!


Then again, if the people to whom you are giving the excuse know your family and see them often, your excuse might not work very well! You need to make sure that they can’t figure things out. This is particularly difficult in our modern times of social media. Anyone can search Facebook by name and find the person they are looking for in seconds.

再說一次,如果你找藉口的人認識你的家人,經常見到他們,你的藉口可能就不太管用了!你要確保他們搞不懂。這在我們現代的社交媒體中尤其困難。任何人都可以通過名字搜索Facebook,並在幾秒鐘內找到他們要找的人。


Use with caution!

小心使用!


Here’s your example dialogue for excuses involving family problems:

以下是你爲家庭問題找藉口的對話示例:


CHARLES: SORRY I’VE BEEN SO BUSY LATELY GUYS, I’VE HAD SO MANY FAMILY PROBLEMS!

查爾斯:對不起,我最近很忙,我有很多家庭問題!


YOLANDA: REALLY?

尤蘭達:真的嗎?


BEN: SERIOUSLY?

本:說真的?


CHARLES: YEAH, FIRST MY POOR OLD GRANDMA PASSED AWAY, THAT WAS SAD, SHE WAS 86 AND IT WAS A SHOCK TO US ALL.

查爾斯:是的,首先我可憐的老奶奶去世了,那很傷心,她已經86歲了,這對我們大家都是個打擊。


YOLANDA: THAT WAS WHEN YOU COULDN’T COME OUT FOR DRINKS WITH US, RIGHT?

尤蘭達:那時候你不能和我們一起出去喝酒,對吧?


CHARLES: YEAH, SORRY GUYS.

查爾斯:是的,對不起。


BEN: THAT’S REALLY STRANGE BECAUSE I WAS TALKING TO YOUR GRANDMA DOWN AT THE SHOPS THE OTHER DAY.

本:真奇怪,因爲前幾天我在商店和你奶奶聊天。


CHARLES: UM… ARE YOU SURE?

查爾斯:嗯……你確定嗎?


BEN: I’M POSITIVE.

本:我肯定。


CHARLES: OH YEAH, SORRY, I MEANT MY GREAT GRANDMA. YOU DIDN’T KNOW HER.

查爾斯:哦,是的,對不起,我是說我的曾祖母。你不認識她。


YOLANDA: CHARLES, WHY ARE YOU MAKING THINGS UP TO NOT HANG OUT WITH US?

尤蘭達:查爾斯,你爲什麼要編造一些事情不跟我們出去玩?


CHARLES: I’M NOT I SWEAR! THERE WAS ANOTHER INCIDENT THE OTHER DAY WHEN YOU INVITED ME TO THE THEME PARK. I REALLY WANTED TO GO BUT THEN MY DAUGHTER FELL ILL, WE WERE REALLY WORRIED ABOUT HER BUT SHE GOT BETTER.

查爾斯:我不是,我發誓!前幾天你邀請我去主題公園時發生了另一件事。我真的很想去,但後來我女兒病了,我們真的很擔心她,但她好多了。


BEN: CHARLES, I SAW YOUR DAUGHTER AT SCHOOL WHEN I WENT TO PICK UP MY SON.

本:查爾斯,我去接兒子的時候看見你女兒在學校。


CHARLES: THAT MUST’VE BEEN SOMEONE ELSE, SHE WAS OFF SCHOOL ALL WEEK.

查爾斯:那一定是別人乾的,她整個星期都不上學。


YOLANDA: CHARLES! YOU’RE LYING THROUGH YOUR TEETH!

尤蘭達:查爾斯!你在撒謊!


BEN: YEAH IF YOU DON’T WANT TO HANG OUT WITH US THEN YOU DON’T HAVE TO LIE ABOUT IT. JUST TELL US.

本:是的,如果你不想和我們一起出去,那你就不必撒謊了。告訴我們。


CHARLES: I LOVE HANGING OUT WITH YOU GUYS! I SWEAR I’M TELLING THE TRUTH.

查爾斯:我喜歡和你們在一起!我發誓我說的是實話。


YOLANDA: WELL WE ARE FED UP OF YOUR EXCUSES. IF YOU WANT TO SPEND TIME WITH YOUR FRIENDS IN FUTURE THEN GIVE US A CALL. IF NOT, THEN DON’T BOTHER.

尤蘭達:我們受夠了你的藉口。如果你將來想和你的朋友在一起,那就給我們打個電話。如果沒有,那就不用麻煩了。


BEN: AGREED.

本:同意。


CHARLES: OKAY, I WILL CALL YOU GUYS SOON, I PROMISE.

查爾斯:好的,我很快會給你們打電話的,我保證。


New Vocabulary:

新詞彙:


Passed away

去世


A polite and kinder way to say that someone has died.

說有人死了的禮貌和友好的方式。


Making things up

編故事


If someone is making things up, they are inventing lies about something.

如果有人在編故事,他們就在編造謊言。


I swear!

我發誓!


A  strong way to say that you are telling the truth.

說你說的是實話的有力方式。


Fell ill

生病


A way to say that someone has become ill or sick.

一種表示某人生病或生病的方式。


Lying through your teeth

在你的牙齒裏躺着


An expression to say that someone is obviously telling lies.

表示某人明顯在說謊的表達。


Hang out

閒逛


To hang out with someone is to spend time with them. Use this only with friends as it is very informal. It’s also more common in US English as opposed to UK English.

和某人在一起就是和他們在一起。這是非常非正式的,只能和朋友一起使用。這在美式英語中也比英式英語更常見。


Fed up

厭倦


A stronger way of saying you are tired of something.

更有力的方式來表達你對某事的厭倦。


excuses for being late to work, bed, bedroom

上班、睡覺、睡覺遲到的藉口


Alarm clock

鬧鐘


That pesky thing that we all hate, but it’s just doing its job!

我們都討厭的討厭的事,但它只是在做它的工作!


The alarm clock is the device that we use to wake us up at a certain time every morning. Usually, the natural response is to turn it off and go back to sleep, but we can’t do that unless we want to be late for the day ahead. Some people are very lucky and they don’t need an alarm clock to wake them up. I don’t know about you, but I am not one of those people.

鬧鐘是我們每天早晨在某個時間叫醒我們的裝置。通常情況下,我們的自然反應是關掉它然後再睡覺,但除非我們想在前一天遲到,否則我們不能這樣做。有些人很幸運,他們不需要鬧鐘來叫醒他們。我不瞭解你,但我不是那種人。


So, that being said, let’s take a look at the dialogue below:

既然如此,讓我們來看看下面的對話:


TIM: SORRY I’M LATE BOB!

蒂姆:對不起,我遲到了鮑勃!


BOB: TIM, AGAIN? THIS IS BECOMING A HABIT.

鮑勃:蒂姆,又來了?這正在成爲一種習慣。


TIM: IT’S MY DARNED ALARM CLOCK. EVERY NIGHT I SET IT FOR 7 O’CLOCK IN THE MORNING BUT SOMETIMES IT JUST DECIDES TO NOT GO OFF. IT’S GOT A MIND OF ITS OWN!

蒂姆:這是我該死的鬧鐘。每天晚上我把它定在早上7點,但有時它只是決定不走。它有自己的想法!


BOB: THEN JUST BUY ANOTHER ALARM CLOCK! YOURS DOESN’T WORK!

鮑勃:那就再買一個鬧鐘吧!你的不管用!


TIM: I KNOW, I WILL BUY ANOTHER ONE LATER. IT HAS TO BE DONE.

蒂姆:我知道,我以後會再買一個。必須這樣做。


BOB: GOOD! BUT YOU’VE SAID THAT A FEW TIMES NOW. MAKE SURE YOU STICK TO YOUR WORD THIS TIME.

鮑勃:太好了!但你已經說過幾次了。這次一定要信守諾言。


TIM: I WILL, I PROMISE.

我會的,我保證。


New vocabulary:

新詞彙:


Darned

該死的


A polite way of saying “damned”. This is a way of insulting something.

說“該死”的禮貌方式。這是一種侮辱的方式。


To set an alarm clock

設置鬧鐘


When you set up your alarm clock to wake you up at a certain time.

當你設置鬧鐘在某個時間叫醒你的時候。


It’s got a mind of its own!

它有自己的想法!


When something has a mind of its own, it doesn’t act in the way that you would expect it to act.

當一件事有了自己的想法,它就不會像你期望的那樣行動。


It has to be done

一定要做


Another way of saying it must be done.

另一種說法是必須這樣做。


Stick to your word

信守諾言


To stick to your word means that you keep a promise and you do what you say you’re going to do.

信守諾言意味着你信守諾言,做你想做的事。


map, public transport

地圖,公共交通


Public transport

公共交通


Public transport can be a good option if you do not own a car or a bike and it is too far to walk to your destination. Public transport includes things like buses, trains and cable cars.

如果您沒有汽車或自行車,而且距離您的目的地太遠,公共交通是一個不錯的選擇。公共交通包括公共汽車、火車和纜車。


Usually, you have to pay to use public transport and you expect that it will arrive on time. In reality though, public transport has issues with being punctual and keeping up high standards. It’s important that you leave early so that you don’t arrive late!

通常,你必須付費才能使用公共交通工具,而且你希望它能準時到達。然而,在現實中,公共交通有準時和保持高標準的問題。重要的是你要早點離開以免遲到!


Take a look at the dialogue:

看看對話:


FRAN: SORRY I’M LATE GEORGE, I HAD TO TAKE THE BUS AGAIN.

弗蘭:對不起,我遲到了,喬治,我又得坐公共汽車了。


GEORGE: FRAN! WHAT HAVE I TOLD YOU ABOUT PUBLIC TRANSPORT?

喬治:弗蘭!我跟你說過公共交通嗎?


FRAN: I’M REALLY SORRY, MY LEG WAS HURTING AND I NEEDED TO GET HERE SOMEHOW!

弗蘭:真的很抱歉,我的腿受傷了,我需要設法趕到這裏!


GEORGE: OKAY, I UNDERSTAND, BUT YOU HAVE TO ALLOW MORE TIME WITH PUBLIC TRANSPORT. IT’S ALWAYS LATE.

喬治:好吧,我明白,但你得給更多時間乘坐公共交通工具。總是很晚。


FRAN: I KNOW THAT NOW, PERHAPS TOMORROW I’LL GET THE TRAIN. IT’S A BIT QUICKER.

弗蘭:我現在知道了,也許明天我就能趕上火車。快一點。


GEORGE: JUST REMEMBER THAT IT IS QUITE PRICEY TO TAKE THE TRAIN.

喬治:記住坐火車很貴。


FRAN: THAT’S TRUE. THE PRICES ARE GOING THROUGH THE ROOF. I’LL THINK OF SOMETHING.

弗蘭:沒錯。物價飛漲。我會想辦法的。


vocabulary related to public transport

關於公共交通的詞彙


New vocabulary:

新詞彙:


Take/get the bus

搭乘公交車


To travel by bus.

坐公交車


To allow more time

讓更多的時間


If you allow time, you do things a little bit earlier so that if something goes wrong, you are still on time.

如果你允許時間的話,你可以早一點做事,這樣如果出了問題,你仍然準時。


Get/take the train

坐火車


To travel by train.

坐火車


Pricey

昂貴的


Another word for expensive.

另一個詞是昂貴。


The prices are going through the roof

物價飛漲


An expression to say that prices are rising very quickly.

一種表示物價上漲很快的說法。


car, car problems, car rental

汽車,汽車問題,租車


Car problems

汽車問題


Your car can sometimes be your best friend and other times it can be your worst enemy. You just never know what it’s going to do!

你的車有時是你最好的朋友,有時是你最大的敵人。你永遠不知道它會做什麼!


If your car breaks down and you can’t use it to drive to work you have the perfect excuse. But only if you live far enough away from work that you can’t walk.

如果你的車拋錨了,你不能用它來開車上班,你就有一個完美的藉口。但前提是你住得離工作足夠遠,不能走路。


Usually, when it works, the car is the most convenient and most comfortable way to get to work in the mornings. You can listen to music while you drive, you can recline your seat and in some cars you have personalised temperature settings.

通常,當它工作時,汽車是早晨上班最方便、最舒適的方式。你可以一邊開車一邊聽音樂,你可以傾斜你的座位,在一些車裏你可以設置個性化的溫度。


But what if the car isn’t working?

但是如果車壞了呢?


Sometimes, if you’re late, you can pretend that your car has broken down and you were not able to get to work on time.

有時,如果你遲到了,你可以假裝你的車壞了,你不能按時上班。


Take a look at the dialogue:

看看對話:


DARREN: LEE, WHY ARE YOU SO LATE?

達倫:李,你爲什麼這麼晚?


LEE: DIDN’T YOU HEAR? I CALLED THE Front OFFICE.

李:你沒聽到嗎?我給前臺打了電話。


DARREN: NO, WHAT HAPPENED?

達倫:不,怎麼了?


LEE: MY CAR BROKE DOWN AND I HAD TO WAIT FOR THE MECHANICS TO COME AND FIX THE PROBLEM.

李:我的車壞了,我得等修理工來修理。


DARREN: REALLY? ARE YOU SURE YOU’RE TELLING THE TRUTH?

達倫:真的嗎?你確定你說的是實話嗎?


LEE: YES! IT WAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE WHEELS, THEY WEREN’T WORKING PROPERLY.

李:是的!這和輪子有關,它們不能正常工作。


DARREN: OKAY, IF YOU SAY SO. BUT COULDN’T YOU HAVE JUST WALKED? YOU ONLY LIVE AROUND THE CORNER.

達倫:好吧,如果你這麼說的話。但你就不能走嗎?你只住在拐角。


LEE: UM… YES THAT’S TRUE BUT I HAVE A BAD LEG SO IT WOULDN’T BE A GOOD IDEA TO WALK ANYWHERE.

李:嗯……是的,但我的腿不好,所以去哪兒都不好。


DARREN: JUST DON’T LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN, LEE.

達倫:別讓它再次發生,李。


New vocabulary:

新詞彙:


Front office

前臺


The main office in any organisation that deals with calls and other communications.

任何組織中處理電話和其他通信的主要辦公室。


To break down

拋錨


In this instance, this is when a car stops working during a journey.

在這種情況下,這是一輛汽車在旅途中停止工作的時候。


Mechanics

機械


People that work with cars to try and fix them.

和汽車打交道試圖修理汽車的人。


Wheels

輪胎


A car has four of these. They allow the car to move.

一輛車有四個。他們允許汽車移動。


Around the corner

在拐角處


An expression to show that something is very close.

表示某物非常接近的表達。


A bad leg

不好


To say you “have a bad” body part, it means you have a problem with that body part and you are in pain.

如果說你的身體部位“不好”,那就意味着你的身體部位有問題,而且你很痛苦。


police excuses

警方理由


Police problems

警察問題


This is a pretty extreme example!

這是一個非常極端的例子!


If you have an excuse that involves the police, you better know that your manager or your boss isn’t going to check your story with the police to see if it’s true. It could be very easy for them to find out if you’re lying.

如果你有一個與警察有關的藉口,你最好知道你的經理或老闆不會向警察覈實你的故事是否屬實。他們很容易就知道你在撒謊。


There are a lot of examples of excuses to do with the police but we are going to take a look at a common one. Hopefully you don’t experience anything more serious on your commute to work.

有很多借口和警察有關,但我們要看一個常見的例子。希望你在上班路上不會遇到更嚴重的事情。


GERRY: HAMISH, YOU’RE LATE AGAIN. WHAT’S THE EXCUSE THIS TIME?

格里:哈米什,你又遲到了。這次有什麼藉口?


HAMISH: BOSS, THIS TIME IT’S A REAL ONE. I WAS PULLED OVER FOR SPEEDING.

哈米什:老大,這次是真的。我因超速被攔了下來。


GERRY: REALLY? THAT’S NOT GOOD.

蓋瑞:真的嗎?那不好。


HAMISH: NO IT’S NOT, BUT I WAS ONLY GOING 2 MILES PER HOUR OVER THE SPEED LIMIT. IT WAS SO STUPID.

哈米什:不,不是的,但我只超速了每小時2英里。太蠢了。


GERRY: WELL, YOU WERE TECHNICALLY SPEEDING.

格里:嗯,嚴格說來,你超速了。


HAMISH: YEAH, BUT COME ON, 2 MILES PER HOUR FASTER THAN THE SPEED LIMIT IS NOT HURTING ANYBODY.

哈米什:是的,但是拜託,比限速快2英里每小時不會傷害任何人。


GERRY: MAYBE, BUT HAMISH, MAYBE YOU SHOULD LEAVE HOME A BIT EARLIER TO MAKE SURE YOU CAN GET TO WORK ON TIME WITHOUT SPEEDING.

蓋瑞:也許吧,但是哈米什,也許你應該早點離開家,以確保你能準時上班而不超速。


HAMISH: YEAH, YOU’RE RIGHT. I JUST HATE GETTING UP EARLY! IT’S HORRIBLE!

哈米什:是的,你說得對。我討厭早起!太可怕了!


GERRY: NOBODY LIKES IT, HAMISH, BUT YOU HAVE TO DO IT SOMETIMES!

格里:沒有人喜歡,哈米什,但你有時必須這樣做!


New vocabulary:

新詞彙:


Pulled over

靠邊停車


When the police tell you to stop at the side of the road.

當警察叫你停在路邊的時候。


Speeding

超速


When you are driving faster than the speed limit.

當你超速行駛時。


Speed limit

速度限制


The speed at which you are allowed to travel on a certain road.

允許你在某條路上行駛的速度。


love, care for, adore, be in love with, heart, vital organ

愛,關心,愛慕,愛上,心臟,重要器官


Doctor’s appointment

醫生預約


Again, this one can be checked so you better make sure it’s either true or that you have a friend that’s a doctor!

再一次,這個可以檢查,所以你最好確保它不是真的,或者你有一個朋友是醫生!


People are generally allowed to miss hours or even days of work to go to the doctor’s. It is seen as something that needs to be taken care of and not even your boss can stop you from caring about your health.

人們通常被允許錯過幾小時甚至幾天的工作去看醫生,這被視爲需要照顧的事情,甚至連你的老闆都不能阻止你關心你的健康。


But, some people will make up reasons to go to the doctor’s and will even lie about being ill.

但是,有些人會編造理由去看醫生,甚至會謊稱自己生病了。


Are you one of these people? If so, this dialogue is for you!

你是這些人中的一員嗎?如果是的話,這段對話是給你的!


VICTOR: SARAH, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN?

維克多:莎拉,你去哪兒了?


SARAH: I TOLD YOU, TODAY WAS MY DOCTOR’S APPOINTMENT. I’VE BEEN SUFFERING WITH THE FLU FOR WEEKS NOW.

莎拉:我告訴過你,今天是我醫生的預約。我患流感已經好幾個星期了。


VICTOR: BUT YOU SEEM OKAY! HOW DID IT GO?

維克多:但你看起來很好!進展如何?


SARAH: IT WAS ALRIGHT, HE GAVE ME A PRESCRIPTION TO GET RID OF THE REST OF THE FLU. I’M NEARLY OVER IT NOW.

莎拉:沒關係,他給我開了個處方,讓我把剩下的流感治好。我現在快結束了。


VICTOR: WELL THAT’S GOOD. IF YOU DON’T FEEL WELL YOU SHOULDN’T BE AT WORK.

維克多:那很好。如果你感覺不舒服,就不應該上班。


SARAH: YES, BUT I MISSED WORK LAST WEEK. I DON’T WANT TO BE OFF SICK THIS WEEK AS WELL.

莎拉:是的,但我上週沒上班。我也不想這周請病假。


VICTOR: OKAY, WELL TAKE IT EASY AND IF YOU FEEL BAD THEN GO HOME.

維克多:好吧,放鬆點,如果你覺得不舒服就回家吧。


SARAH: THANKS, VICTOR.

莎拉:謝謝,維克多。


doctor's appointment vocabulary

醫生預約詞彙


New vocabulary:

新詞彙:


Doctor’s appointment

醫生預約


A scheduled time with the doctor where they will try to help you with your problem.

醫生安排的時間,他們會盡力幫助你解決問題。


Prescription

處方


A document that your doctor gives you so that you can get drugs or treatment from a pharmacy.

你的醫生給你的文件,以便你能從藥房得到藥物或治療。


Flu

流感


Short for influenza, this is something that is very common and can make you feel like you have no energy and you can’t breathe normally. It’s not usually serious when treated properly.

流感的簡稱,這是一種很常見的疾病,會讓你感覺沒有精力,無法正常呼吸。如果治療得當,通常不嚴重。


To be off sick

病休


To be away from work because you are ill or sick.

因爲生病或生病而離開工作。


Take it easy

放輕鬆


Another way to say “relax” and tell someone not to work too hard.

另一種方式是說“放鬆”,告訴別人不要工作太辛苦。


Weather

天氣


This one depends where you live, if you live in a sunny place where there is never any bad weather then this probably doesn’t apply to you. This excuse mainly applies to those living in countries that experience challenging weather on a regular basis.

這取決於你住在哪裏,如果你住在一個陽光明媚的地方,那裏從來沒有壞天氣,那麼這可能不適用於你。這個藉口主要適用於那些生活在經常經歷惡劣天氣的國家的人。


There are many circumstances that mean people cannot get to work because of the weather. Public transport can shut down, cars will break down and roads will close all because of bad weather.

有許多情況意味着人們由於天氣原因不能上班。由於天氣惡劣,公共交通可能會關閉,汽車會拋錨,道路也會關閉。


Of course, if you receive regular bad weather, you are probably prepared and will be able to travel to work without any problem.

當然,如果你經常遇到壞天氣,你可能已經做好了準備,可以毫無問題地去上班了。


But what if you are not used to extreme weather?

但如果你不習慣極端天氣呢?


Take a look:

看一下:


JANE: HAVE YOU SEEN THE WEATHER OUTSIDE? IT’S SNOWING!

簡:你看到外面的天氣了嗎?下雪了!


DEREK: YEAH I KNOW, THAT’S WHY I WAS LATE THIS MORNING. IT WAS SNOWING LAST NIGHT AND THEY CLOSED SOME OF THE ROADS.

德里克:是的,我知道,這就是我今天早上遲到的原因。昨晚下雪了,他們封鎖了一些道路。


JANE: WOW, REALLY? I HAVEN’T HAD ANY SNOW BY MY HOUSE.

簡:哇,真的嗎?我家附近沒有下雪。


DEREK: THAT’S STRANGE! THE ROADS NEAR ME HAVE BEEN FROZEN FOR WEEKS AND IT’S BEEN VERY DANGEROUS TO DRIVE.

德里克:真奇怪!我附近的道路已經結冰好幾個星期了,開車很危險。


JANE: THERE IS A TRAIN STATION NEAR YOU, ISN’T THERE? WHY DON’T YOU JUST GET THE TRAIN?

簡:你附近有一個火車站,是嗎?你爲什麼不坐火車呢?


DEREK: THE TRAIN STATION HAS BEEN CLOSED TOO, THE TRACKS HAVE BEEN TOO DANGEROUS. WE AREN’T USED TO THIS MUCH SNOW.

德里克:火車站也關閉了,鐵軌太危險了。我們不習慣這麼多雪。


JANE: THAT’S TRUE, WE DON’T MAKE ALLOWANCES FOR BAD WEATHER LIKE THIS.

簡:是的,我們不考慮這樣的惡劣天氣。


DEREK: THE PEOPLE NEAR ME ARE OUTRAGED BECAUSE THEY CAN’T GO ANYWHERE! THEIR ROADS ARE SHUT, THEIR RAILWAYS ARE SHUT SO THEY ARE STUCK IN THEIR HOUSES.

德里克:我身邊的人很憤怒,因爲他們哪兒也去不了!他們的道路被關閉,鐵路被關閉,所以他們被困在家裏。


JANE: THAT WOULD BE HORRIBLE. I CAN’T STAY INSIDE FOR TOO LONG OTHERWISE I GET BORED.

簡:那太可怕了。我不能在裏面呆太久,否則我會感到無聊。


DEREK: YEAH ME TOO. THAT’S WHY I’M HERE! YOU ARE ALLOWED TO TRAVEL IN AN EMERGENCY, LUCKILY FOR ME. I DON’T WANT TO LOSE MY JOB!

德里克:我也是。這就是我來這裏的原因!你可以在緊急情況下旅行,我很幸運。我不想丟了工作!


New vocabulary:

新詞彙:


Frozen

凍結的


When something falls below it’s freezing point. In this case, water on the roads has become ice so the roads are not safe.

當某物降到冰點以下時。在這種情況下,道路上的水已經結冰,因此道路不安全。


Tracks

小路


Trains travel by driving on these. They are made of metal and wood.

火車是靠開這些車來旅行的。它們是由金屬和木頭製成的。


To make allowances

體諒


If you make allowances for something, you prepare for something to happen so that you are ready when it comes.

如果你考慮到一些事情,你就要爲即將發生的事情做好準備,這樣當事情發生時你就做好了準備。


Outraged

憤怒的


Another word to say that someone is very angry about something.

另一個詞是說某人對某事很生氣。


Shut

關閉


Another word for “closed”!

另一個詞是“關閉”!


猜你喜歡

熱點閱讀

最新文章