2018年英語專業四級聽力真題對話2
Conversation Two
對話2
Questions 6 to 10 are based on Conversation Two.
根據對話2回答第6題到第10題
W: Hello, and welcome to today's program. I'm Alice.
女:大家好,歡迎來到今天的節目。我是愛麗絲。
M: And I'm Jack. Hello.
男:我是傑克。大家好。
W: Hello, Jack. You're off on holiday tomorrow, aren't you?
女:你好,傑克。你明天休假,是嗎?
M: I am and you know, and I'm dreading it. I hate flying!
男:是的,你知道,我很害怕。我討厭坐飛機!
W: Do you? I didn't know you had a phobia— and that means a strong and unreasonable fear of something.
女:是嗎?我不知道你有恐懼症——就是對某種事物強烈而不合理的恐懼。
M: Well, I don't think this is a phobia because it isn't unreasonable. Flying thousands of feet up in the sky, you know, that's not safe!
男:嗯,我不認爲這是恐懼症,因爲它並非沒有道理。你知道,在幾千英尺的高空飛行很不安全!
W: Flying is safer than you think, Jack. It's much riskier to drive or cycle to work. And, actually, risk taking is the subject of today's show!
女:乘飛機比你想象得要安全,傑克。開車或騎車上班風險更大。冒險!就是今天節目的主題!
Risk means the chances of something bad happening. For example, did you know that your chance of being knocked off your bicycle and killed during a one-mile journey is the same as your chances of winning the lottery?
風險是指發生壞事的可能性。例如,你知道一英里之內你騎自行車被撞倒撞死的機率和你中彩票的機率是一樣大的嗎?
M: I didn't know that.
男:我不知道。
W: Can you guess what are the chances of either of these two things happening?
女:你能猜到這兩種情況發生的概率是多少嗎?
M: I have no idea. One in a million?
男:我不知道。一百萬分之一嗎?
W: No, it's one in 14 million. You are as likely to win the national lottery from a single ticket as you are to be knocked off your bicycle and killed during a one-mile journey.
女:不,是1千4百萬分之一。你中全國彩票頭獎的可能性就像一英里之內你騎自行車被撞倒撞死的可能性一樣大。
M: But why are we bad at assessing risk?
男:但是爲什麼我們不善於評估風險呢?
W: People typically fear anything which is small probability but it's extremely catastrophic if it were to happen…
女:通常人們害怕的都是發生的可能性很小,但如果發生的話,將會是一場災難的事情……
Recently we have another increase in these birds' virus outbreaks. People read about that.
最近這些鳥類病毒爆發事件又增加了。大家都知道這些。
And they may pay a lot of attention to that in the news but they may forget to get their flu shot.
他們可能會在新聞中注意到這一點,但他們可能會忘記注射流感疫苗。
M: That's right. We tend to worry about big or catastrophic events such as catching bird flu or dying in a plane crash because we react emotionally to them.
男:對。我們傾向於擔心重大或災難性的事件,如感染禽流感或飛機失事傷亡,因爲我們情緒上會對它們產生反應。
W: Yeah. Catastrophic events feel like very real threats, while we tend to forget about the small but chronic risks that become more likely over time.
女:是的。災難性的事件感覺起來是非常真實的威脅,而我們往往會忘記那些隨着時間的推移變得更有可能發生的,小而長期的風險。
M: We do. So for example, what if there was a cigarette that killed you as soon as you smoked it?
男:是的。舉個例子,如果有一根菸,你一抽完就會死,會出現什麼樣的情況?
Nobody would do that, would they?
沒有人會那樣做,對不對?
W: No, they wouldn't.
女:對,沒有人會那樣做。
M: But plenty of people are happy to smoke for years, and put off worrying about the health risks for the future.
男:但是很多人很樂意吸菸很多年,並沒有擔心未來可能出現的健康風險。
W: Yes, that's a good point, Jack! People feel they are in control of risks that stretch over time. You know, they think, "I could stop tomorrow" or "I could smoke less".
女:是的,說得好,傑克!隨着時間的推移,人們覺得他們能夠控制住風險。你知道,他們會想,“我明天可以停下來”或者“我可以少抽菸”。
But what about people who really enjoy taking big risks—those thrill seekers out there?
但是那些真正喜歡冒險的人——那些尋求刺激的人呢?
M: People who enjoy extreme sports actually seek out danger—it gives them extreme pleasure!
男:喜歡極限運動的人實際上是在尋找危險,那給了他們極大的樂趣!
If the risk is really high, it means that the pleasure needs to be equally high, or hopefully even higher—
如果風險真的很高,那就意味着其中樂趣需要同樣高,甚至更高……
W: You're right.
女:你說的對。
Questions 6 to 10 are based on Conversation Two.
請根據對話2回答第6到10題。
6. According to Alice, what is a phobia?
6. 根據愛麗絲的說法,什麼是恐懼症?
7. What are the chances of getting knocked off one's bicycle and killed in a one-mile journey?
7. 一英里之內騎自行車被撞倒撞死的可能性有多大?
8. What kind of event do people tend to worry about?
8. 人們會擔心什麼樣的事情?
9. Which may involve a chronic risk?
9. 哪一項可能涉及慢性風險?
10. Why do some people enjoy risks?
10. 爲什麼有些人喜歡冒險?