中國寓言故事雙語版 第79期:南轅北轍
One day, Ji Liang went to see the King of Wei and reported:
一天,季樑去見魏王,報告說:
"When I was coming here, I saw a man on the road driving a horse carriage north in great haste.
“這次,我來的時候,在路上看到一個人,駕着馬車往北走,走得很急。
"I asked him: `Where are you going in such haste?'
“我問他:‘走得這麼急,你要去哪兒?’
"He replied: `I am going to the State of Chu.'
“他回答說:‘我要到楚國去。’
"I said: `If you want to go to the State of Chu, you should go south.
“我說:‘你去楚國,應該朝南走。
Why are you going north? You are going the wrong way!’
怎麼往北呢?你走錯了!’
"He said: `My horse is big and strong. It can run as fast as flying. It doesn't matter to run a little more.'
“他說:‘我的馬很好,又高又大,跑起來跟飛一樣快。多跑點兒沒關係。’
"I told him: `Though your horse is good, you are going in the wrong direction.'
“我告訴他:‘你的馬雖然好,可是去楚國的方向不對呀!
"He said: `It doesn't matter. I have lots of money.'
“他說:‘沒關係,我有很多錢。’
"I told him again: `Though you have lots of money, this is not the road to the State of Chu.'
“我又告訴他:‘你錢雖然多,但是這不是去楚國的路呀!’
"He said: `It doesn't matter. My driver is good and strong.'
“他說:‘沒關係,我的車伕好,他身強力壯。’
"Finally I told him: `Though your driver is good and strong, this is not the road to the State of Chu."
“最後我告訴他:‘你的車伕雖然好,但是這不是去楚國的路呀!'
The King of Wei blurted out: "Alas, this man is too obstinate.
魏王脫口說道:“唉!這個人真固執。
He doesn't realize that if his direction is wrong, the better he is equipped, the farther he would be away from his destination."
他不知道方向錯了,條件越好,離開目的地就越遠。”