The english we speak(BBC教学)第102期:Bright eyed and bushy tailed 精神饱满
Will: Hi! I'm William. And here's... er well, something that looks a bit like Li, but kind of half-Li half-animal. Are you.okay Li?
威尔:大家好!我是威廉。这是……看起来很像李,可是一半是李,一半是动物。李,你还好吗?Li: Yes, I am very well, thank you.
李:当然,我很好,谢谢你。Will: I don't mean to be rude, but... why have you got a large, bushy tail today?
威尔:我无意冒犯,但是……你今天为什么带了个毛茸茸的长尾巴?
Li: Well, it was an order from the boss.
李:这是老板的命令。Will: The boss told you to come in with a tail?
威尔:老板让你带着尾巴来?Li: Yes.
李:对啊。Will: Right. But what about the bright, sparkling glitter around your eyes?
威尔:好吧。那你眼睛周围又亮又闪又是怎么回事?Li: Oh, that too. Don't you think it makes my eyes look lovely and bright?
李:哦,这也是老板的命令。你不认为这让我的眼睛看起来又迷人又明亮吗?Will: Well, yes, they are kind of... dazzling.
威尔:好吧,它们有点……让人眼花缭乱。Li: I think he will be pleased. Yesterday he wasn't pleased with me. He said I looked bored and tired. It's true I didn't get much work done, I'd had a late night.
李:我想老板肯定会高兴的。昨天他对我感到不满意。他说我看起来无精打采又很疲惫。这是事实,我有太多工作没有完成,我很晚才睡觉。Will: Right. So what will the tail and sparkly eyes do-make you work harder?
威尔:好吧。那这尾巴和亮闪闪的眼睛能做什么,让你工作更努力吗?Li: Yes! Apparently!
李:对啊!显然是的!Will: Li, I'm not sure that the rest of the team will be able to concentrate with all of that fur and glitter in the office!
威尔:李,你带着这毛茸茸的尾巴还有亮闪闪的眼睛,我不确定办公室里的其他同事还能不能专心工作!Li: Well, it was the boss's idea-not mine.
李:可是这是老板的主意,又不是我的。Will: Li, what did he actually say when he asked you to do this?
威尔:李,老板让你这么做的时候,他到底说了什么?Li: He said: 'Li, tomorrow I expect you to come in bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.'
李:他说:‘李,我希望你明天能精神饱满的来工作’。Will: Right. I hate to say this, but it's just an expression.
威尔:好吧。我真讨厌这么说,但是这其实是个表达方式。Li: What? Just an expression? Why does this keep happening to me?
李:什么?这是一个表达方式?为什么这总发生在我身上?Will: Well, if you're bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, you're full of energy and enthusiasm. The boss didn't expect you to come in looking like some kind of squirrel on its way to the Oscars.
威尔:嗯,这个短语的意思是,充满能量和热情。老板并不是希望你打扮成松鼠一样去参加奥斯卡颁奖礼。Li: Oh.
李:哦。Will: He just wanted you to be a bit more motivated and energetic.
威尔:他只是希望你更积极,更有活力。Li: Oh no, I'm never going to be able to get this tail off-I put so much glue on it. Everyone will laugh at me!
李:哦不,我没办法把这个尾巴拿下来了,我粘了太多的胶水了。所有人都会嘲笑我的!Will: Maybe. Here are some examples:
威尔:可能吧。来看些例子:Wow, look at you, all bright-eyed and bushy-tailed! It looks like you're ready for action!
哇,看看你,真是精神焕发啊!看起来你已经准备行动了!After the summer holidays, the children returned to school bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
暑假之后,孩子们精神饱满地回到学校上课。Li: Oh Will, what will people say when they look at my tail?
李:威尔,人们看到我的尾巴会怎么说?Will: They'll probably just start feeding you nuts.
威尔:他们可能会喂你吃坚果。Li: Oh! This is terrible!
李:哦!这太糟糕了!Will: Or maybe acorns.
威尔:或者喂你吃橡树果。Li: What shall I do?
李:我该怎么办?Will: Well I wouldn't eat the acorns, but there's nothing wrong with nuts.
威尔:我不会吃橡树果的,不过坚果倒是可以接受。Li: Will, help me! Pull this tail, please, pull!
李:威尔,帮帮我!请帮我把这个尾巴拉下来!Will: Okay. Come on! Come on, silly tail!
威尔:好的。来吧!来吧,这愚蠢的尾巴!Li: It's all the boss's fault!
李:这都是老板的错!重点讲解:
1. bright-eyed and bushy-tailed
精神饱满;精神抖擞;精神奕奕;
eg. Joanna always shows up at work bright-eyed and bushy-tailed.
乔安娜工作时总是精神奕奕。
eg. The next morning, John came down to breakfast bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. When asked about how he slept, he replied, "Never better. "
第二天早上,约翰下来吃早饭,看起来精神焕发。当问及他昨晚睡得怎样时,他答道:“从没这么好过。”
2. be full of
有大量…的;满是…的;充满……;
eg. The case was full of clothes...
箱子里塞满了衣服。
eg. Mom's face was full of pain.
妈妈的脸上写满了痛苦。
3. laugh at
嘲笑;讥笑;
eg. It is not decent to laugh at a crippled person.
笑话一个瘸子是不得体的行为。
eg. Don't laugh at him; he's very sensitive.
千万别笑他,他很敏感。
4. be ready for
准备好的;胜任的;
eg. She says she's not ready for marriage.
她说自己还没有准备好结婚。
eg. Both sides are ready for the contest.
双方均准备好比赛。