英語口語練習小對話 第895期:自鳴得意的
A: He always said something cock-a-hoop.
他説話時經常時一幅自鳴得意的樣子。
B: I can’t bear such attitude, too.
我也無法忍受他那種態度。
A: He must change this, unless he will get in trouble one day.
他必須改變這點,否則終有一天他會遇到麻煩的。
B: Yeah, but what can we do to help him?
是的,但是我們能做點什麼去幫助他呢?
A : He will be aware of this by himself. I believe.
我相信他會意識到這點的。
cock-a-hoop
1. 解詞釋義
Cock-a-hoop是個合成詞,可以做副詞,表示“得意洋洋地,自負地”。也可以做形容詞,表示“得意洋洋的,自鳴得意的”。表示因某事而自鳴得意,得意洋洋,在該詞後面用解詞about,at或者是over,即為:cock-a-hoop (about / at / over sth.),其英文解釋為: very pleased and excited, especially about achieving sth.。
2. 拓展範例
e.g. They're all cock-a-hoop about winning the first game of the season.
他們得以洋洋,因為他們獲得了本季冠軍。
e.g. He was cock-a-hoop about the birth of his first child.
他為第一個孩子的誕生而感到自豪。
e.g. She's cock-a-hoop about getting the job.
她為得到這份工作而自鳴得意。
1. get in trouble :陷入困境,惹上麻煩
e.g. Don' t go too far in the matter ; you may get into trouble if you do.
這件事別做得太過分了,否則你會招來麻煩的。
e.g. If you get in trouble, don't hesitate to ask for advice.
如果碰到麻煩, 要趕緊向人求教。
2. one day:(將來)有一天,終有一天
e.g. I hope one day you'll be able to chew the fat together.
我希望有一天你們能一塊聊聊天。
e.g. George cheated me but I' ll get even with him one day !
喬治欺騙了我,總有一天我要跟他算帳。
3. be aware of:意識到……
e.g. All the while I was acutely aware of her nearness.
我一直強烈地意識到她離我很近。
e.g. As I waited, I became aware of something happening in the house.
我在等待的時候, 感覺到房子裏發生了什麼事。
e.g. Aware of these pitfalls, this year I attempted to keep my resolutions to myself.
鑑於這些經驗教訓,今年我不把自己的決心告訴任何人。