迷你對話學地道口語第1982期:究竟,到底
第一,情景對話
A: Why did you stand there without a word?
你怎麼站那兒一句話也沒有?
B: I didn't know what on earth to answer.
我不知到底該說些什麼。
A: Then, why did you say sorry to the teacher?
那你怎麼不和老師說你抱歉?
B: I don't know, I just felt afraid at that time.
我也不清楚自己是怎麼回事,那會兒我就是覺得害怕。
A: You should change it.
你該把這一點改掉。
第二,詞海拾貝
on earth:到底,究竟
e.g. “What on earth are you so grave about?” she suddenly demanded.
她突然問道:“你這副愁眉苦臉的樣子,是有什麼心事嗎?”
e.g. How on earth did you manage to get the car started?
你到底是怎麼把汽車發動起來的?
e.g. Why on earth did they bother to get married?
他們幹麼費那麼大事去結婚?
e.g. How on earth could I have made so grave a mistake?
我怎麼會犯如此大錯呢?
第三, 語彙積累
1. without a word:一聲不吭地,一言不發地
e.g. He walked straight by without a word or without even raising his hat.
他照直走了過去,一句話也不說,甚至也沒有舉帽致敬。
e.g. Tom swept up the broken glass without a word of reproof to his son.
湯姆把碎玻璃掃乾淨,沒說一句責備兒子的話。
e.g. He intruded himself into the conversation without a word of apology.
他連招呼都不打就插進來講話。
e.g. He hurried by without a word.
他匆匆地走過去沒有說一句話。
2. say sorry to:向……道歉
e.g. You'll say sorry to me for your impertinence, or you'll quit the office instantly!
你這樣放肆,非向我道歉不可!不然,你給我馬上滾!
e.g. I really ought to say sorry to you for having stood in your light so long.
我早就該向你道歉,我阻礙了你的前程有這麼久。
He had the grace to say sorry to me for the insulting remark.
他通情達理地向我道了歉。