迷你對話學地道口語第68期:基礎不牢固
迷你對話:
A :They got a divorce at last.
他們最終還是離婚了。
B:It's inenvitable. Their love wasbuilt on the sand, and this is why their marriage has landed on the rocks.
這是不可避免的,他們的愛情缺乏堅實的基礎,這就是他們是婚姻頻臨破裂的原因所在。
A:You said it. Love buit on the sand will soon be on the rocks.
你說得對,缺乏堅實基礎的愛情很快就會出現裂縫。
B:That give us a good lesson.
這給予我們一個很好的教訓。
地道表達:
built on the sand
小編講解:
這個習語的字面意思就是“建立在沙土上”,我們知道沙土是很軟的,不能支撐人或重的物體,因此引申爲“不切實際”或“基礎不牢”。
支持範例:
Eg.I'm not surprised to learn that this company is in debt-he has very little experience of business, and the whole organization was built on sand.
聽到他公司虧空負債,我一點也不感到意外—他對商業不內行,整個體制的基礎都不牢固。
詞海拾貝:
a divorce:離婚
that I've got my divorce I feel as free as a bird.
由於我已經離婚,我覺得自由自在了。
never told me you got a divorce because of a dead tree.
你從未提過你離婚是因爲那棵死樹。
couple got a divorce because they could not get along.
那對夫婦離婚了,因爲他們相處不好。
got a divorce from him last year.
她去年和他離了婚。
last:最後
was pleased that at last he was extricated.
他很高興他終於獲得瞭解脫。
r a long dispute, he at last made a concession to me.
經過長時間的爭論,他終於對我讓步。
wish to visit China has at last come true.
他要訪華的願望終於實現了。
last his plan came off.
他的計劃最終還是成功了。
the rocks
釋義1:(婚姻)瀕於破裂的
r marriage has been on the rocks for a couple of months.
他們的婚姻觸礁好幾個月了,已經瀕於破裂。
釋義2:身無分文的,手頭拮据的
ncially, you are on the rocks then?
那麼你的經濟狀況是不是很拮据呢?
the time I've paid all the bills I owe I shall be on the rocks.
等我付完了所有的欠帳,我就身無分文了。
釋義3:遭難的,遭殃的;破產的
she have a hunch that my business is going on the rocks?
她是不是預感到我的生意要垮臺?
company is on the rocks now and quite some employees are thinking of moving to other firms.
公司現在不看好,許多職員都在想着跳槽。
釋義4:(飲料)加冰的
liked Beam on the rocks.
她喜歡喝加小冰塊的比姆酒。
sb a good lesson:給予某人一個很好的教訓
Eg. If you have it in for the girl, I'll give you a good lesson.
如果你對這位姑娘使壞的話,我就會好好教訓你。
said it. 你說得對。