迷你對話學地道口語第1979期:不瞭解某人
第一, 情景對話
A: I think you're from the same school.
我想你們倆是同校的吧?
B: Yeah. I heard of him years ago.
是的,我幾年前就聽說過他。
A: He's doing a project with my company now.I need an objective evaluation of him.
他現在正在和我的公司合作開發一個項目,我想聽聽對他的客觀評價。
B: I see. But I don't really know what he's like. We're only on nodding terms.
我明白,可是我真的不知道他的爲人如何,我們只是點頭之交而已。
第二, 詞海拾貝
noddding terms:不太瞭解某人
e.g. I am on nodding terms with him, so we haven't talked much.
我們談話不多,我和他只是點頭之交。
e.g. We are only on nodding terms with Fred as we've met him twice.
我們與弗雷德只是點頭之交,因爲我們只見過他兩次。
e.g. I don't really know what Tom's mother is like, she is only on nodding terms with me.
我實際上並不知道湯姆的母親是個怎樣的人,我跟她只有點頭之交。
第三, 語彙積累
evaluation:評價
e.g. This enables the company to obtain a consensus evaluation of each candidate.
這使公司對每一個候選人均能做出比較公正的評價。
e.g. I attempted an honest evaluation of my own life.
我試圖如實地評價我自己的一生。
hear of:聽說
e.g. I was shocked to hear of his poor death.
聽到他慘遭不幸的噩耗, 我十分震驚。
e.g. I am very much surprised to hear of his failure.
我聽到他失敗的事感到吃驚。
其它:do a project:開發一個項目
an objective evaluation:客觀評價