口語英語實用生活英語口語

The english we speak(BBC教學)第130期:To Nick 偷竊和逮捕

本文已影響 1.19W人 

ing-bottom: 58.04%;">The english we speak(BBC教學)第130期:To Nick 偷竊和逮捕

Helen: Hello, and welcome to The English We Speak. My name is Helen.

海倫:大家好,歡迎收看地道英語節目。我是海倫。

Rob: And I'm Rob.

羅布:我是羅布。

Helen: I saw you looking for your headphones earlier; did you find them?

海倫:我看到你剛剛在找耳機。你找到了嗎?

Rob: No, Helen. I looked for them everywhere. Someone must have nicked them.

羅布:沒有,海倫。我到處都找過了。肯定是被人偷了。

Helen: Nicked them? What do you mean?

海倫:Nicked?那是什麼意思?

Rob: Oh, sorry, what I mean is someone stole my headphones. To nick something means to steal something.

羅布:哦,抱歉,我的意思是有人偷了我的耳機。To nick something的意思是偷某物。

Helen: That's terrible. But how is it spelt?

海倫:那真糟糕。不過那個詞要怎麼拼?

Rob: It's spelt N.I.C.K. nick, to nick something.

羅布:拼寫是N.I.C.K。to nick sth.偷某物。

Helen: My son's best friend is called Nick. It's the same spelling, isn't it?

海倫:我兒子最好的朋友的名字就是尼克。拼寫是一樣的,對吧?

Rob: It is, but not the same meaning. Here the word 'nick' is a verb and it's British slang too.

羅布:一樣,但是意思不同。這裏nick這個詞是個動詞,是英語俚語。

Helen: Let's hear a couple of examples. What items have been stolen?

海倫:我們來聽幾個例子。看看有什麼物品被偷了?

Man: Someone nicked my bike this morning.

男:今天上午有人偷了我的自行車。

Lady: Oh, no. Did you report it to the police?

女士:哦,不。你報警了嗎?

Man: Yes, I did.

男:已經報警了。

Man 1: Where are the chocolate biscuits I was saving? I am sure I saw them yesterday.

男1:我收起來的巧克力餅乾去哪裏了?我確定我昨天還看到過。

Man 2: Sorry, I don't know. Blame Dave, he's always nicking things.

男2:抱歉,我不知道。問問戴夫,他總是偷東西。

Rob: So, one of them lost a bike and the other one lost his chocolate biscuits.

羅布:所以,他們其中一個人丟了自行車,另一個丟了巧克力餅乾。

Helen: Unlucky chaps. Maybe the police can help them.

海倫:不幸的傢伙。也許警察能幫助他們。

Rob: Yes. The police can definitely help them by nicking those petty thieves.

羅布:對。警察絕對會幫他們抓住那些小偷。

Helen: That's very confusing. The police can nick too? They can steal?

海倫:這真令人困惑。警察也會偷東西嗎?他們也偷東西?

Rob: No, no, no, no. The police can't nick things from people. But when they arrest someone, we can say the person is nicked. It means they're arrested by the police.

羅布:不,不,不是那個意思。警察不會從民衆那裏偷東西。警察逮捕罪犯,這個時候我們就可以說那個人被逮捕了。意思是他們被警察逮捕了。

Woman: Have you heard from Inspector James?

女:你有檢查官詹姆斯的消息嗎?

Man: No. He's working on a big case. I think they have just nicked the main suspect!

男:沒有。他正在辦一個大案子。我想他們已經抓住主要嫌犯了!

Helen: So if a criminal is caught by the police, then we can say he's nicked.

海倫:所以,如果罪犯被警察抓住了,我們就可以說he's nicked。

Rob: That's right. Let's go over the two meanings of the verb 'to nick'. First, if something is nicked, it means it's stolen.

羅布:沒錯。我們再來回顧一下動詞nick的兩個意思。第一個意思,如果某件東西is nicked,意思是這件東西被偷了。

Helen: Like my pen got nicked.

海倫:比如我的鋼筆被偷了。

Rob: Yes, that's right. But if a person gets nicked, we mean he's arrested by the police.

羅布:對,沒錯。但是如果一個人gets nicked,意思是他被警察逮捕了。

Helen: A comedian got nicked for throwing a pie at Rupert Murdoch.

海倫:一名喜劇演員因向魯珀特·默多克扔餡餅而被捕。

Rob: Yes, he did. Helen, you've got it. Just remember it's not a formal expression.

羅布:對,沒錯。海倫,你完全掌握了這個詞。要記住這不是個正式表達。

Helen: Thank you. I'll keep that in mind. Bye for now.

海倫:謝謝你。我會記住的。現在該說再見了。

Rob: Bye!

羅布:再見!

重點講解:
1. look for
找;尋;
eg. We all need to look for ways to reduce our carbon footprint.
我們都需要尋求降低碳排放量的方法。
eg. As the tide receded we were able to look for shells.
潮水退去,我們就能尋找貝殼了。
2. hear from
接到…的信(或電話);
eg. Drop us a line, it's always great to hear from you.
給我們寫封短信,能收到你的信總是讓人很高興。
eg. I expect to hear from you as soon as possible.
我期待着能儘快得到您的消息。
3. go over
檢查;複習;回顧;重溫;
eg. At every competition, the judges have an initial meeting where we go over the general rules.
在每次比賽前,所有裁判會有一個會議來回顧一遍所有的規則。
eg. Let's go over some of these elements mentioned above so you can get a better idea of what I mean.
讓我們重溫一下上面提到的概念,這樣你可以更好的理解我的意思。
4. keep sth. in mind
牢記;放在心上;
eg. We must keep this lesson in mind.
我們要記住這個教訓。
eg. That's something we have always to keep in mind.
那是我們應該經常記在心裏的。

猜你喜歡

熱點閱讀

最新文章