迷你對話學地道口語第1937期:正是想要的東西
第一, 情景對話
A: Mum, did you see the books I borrowed from Angela?
媽媽,你見過我從安吉拉那兒借來的書嗎?
B: Yeah. I put them on the top of the cupboard.
我把它們放到壁櫃的最頂層了。
A: Mum, I can't reach the books, could you please do me a favor?
媽媽,我夠不着書,幫幫我,好嗎?
B: I can't reach them, either. We need a ladder.
我也夠不着,我們需要一個梯子。
A: Here's a ladder.
這有個梯子。
B: Just the thing. We'll use that.
正是我們需要的,我們來用吧!
第二, 詞海拾貝
just the thing
exp. Exactly what is most ideal, desired, or useful in a particular moment or situation. (正是最理想,最渴望的,最有用的東西)
e.g. I'm telling you, when you're hungover, a big basket of French fries is just the thing!
我告訴你當你宿醉的時候,一大籃薯條就是最用的東西!
e.g. I have just the thing to wear with a dress that color.
穿那種顏色的衣服正是我最渴望的。
e.g. I happened on just the thing I had been looking for.
我偶然發現了我所要找的東西。
e.g. If you want a small screwdriver I've got just the thing here.
如果你要一把小螺絲刀,我這兒正好有一把。
第三, 語彙積累
1. do somebody a favour:幫忙
e.g. Do me a favour and turn the radio down while I'm on the phone, will you?
勞駕,我在打電話,把收音機的聲音調小點好嗎?
e.g. Please do me a favour and go to the shop for me.
請你幫我一個忙,替我到商店走一趟。
e.g. I've come to ask you to do me a favour. Would you please lend me your notebook computer for a couple of days?
我是來求你幫忙的,你的筆記本電腦能借給我用一兩天嗎?
2. on the top of:在……的頂上
e.g. At last they saw him emerge on the top of an eminence within hail.
最後,他們看到他在一個山嶺上出現了,置身於歡呼之中。
e.g. Kate carried our school banner on the top of a hill.
凱特在山頂上舉着我們的校旗。
其它:borrow something from:從……借某物
reach the books:伸手拿得到書籍