口語英語實用生活英語口語

The english we speak(BBC教學)第97期:Take the weight off your feet 休息

本文已影響 2.32W人 

ing-bottom: 56.25%;">The english we speak(BBC教學)第97期:Take the weight off your feet 休息

Rob: Hello, it's Rob here.

羅布:大家好,我是羅布。

Helen: And me, Helen. This is The English We Speak. Rob I don't know why we have to stand up when we present this programme–it's quite tiring.

海倫:還有我,我是海倫。這裏是地道英語節目。羅布,我不知道我們在做節目的時候爲什麼要站着,這太累了。

Rob: Really? I thought standing up would give us more energy and sitting down makes us a bit lazy.

羅布:是嗎?我認爲站立會讓我們更有精力,而坐下來則會讓我們變得慵懶。

Helen: But I've been standing up all day, this is my only chance to sit down.

海倫:可是我已經站了一整天了,這是我唯一能坐下來的機會。

Rob: Why didn't you say. Here, have a chair, take the weight off your feet.

羅布:你怎麼不早說呢。這裏有張椅子,坐下來休息一下吧。

Helen: The weight?! Take the weight off my feet–that's a bit rude! Do you mean I'm heavy and my feet can't carry the weight?

海倫:體重?把體重從我的腳上拿走,這可有點無禮!你的意思是我太重了,我的腳不能承受我的體重?

Rob: Helen don't be so sensitive. I was being kind. It's a way of saying, relax, sit down, especially after standing up for a long time. It's got nothing to do with your actual weight.

羅布:海倫,別這麼敏感。我是好意。這種說法表示放鬆,坐下來,尤其是站久了的時候可以用。這與你的實際體重沒有任何關係。

Helen: Oh I see. In that case, I will.

海倫:我明白了。要是這樣的話,我要休息一下。

Rob: Here are some other ways of saying that phrase….

羅布:下面有一些這個短語的應用。

We've been shopping all day, let's take the weight off our feet, sit down and have a cup of coffee.

我們一整天都在購物,現在我們來休息一下吧,坐下喝杯咖啡。

Don't walk to work today, go on the bus and take the weight off your feet.

今天不要走路去上班了,坐公交車去吧,這樣你能歇歇腳。

Rob: Those are different situations where you can take the weight off your feet.

羅布:這是一些可以休息的不同場景。

Helen: I have to admit Rob, it's very comfortable sitting down. I feel quite relaxed I think I'll put my feet up too.

海倫:羅布,我必須得承認,坐下來非常舒服。我感覺非常的放鬆,我想我要把腳擡起來。

Rob: That's another expression we use–to put our feet up. Again it means rest and relax and literally, put your feet up on the sofa, or in your case, on the desk. Helen you could have taken your shoes off!

羅布:to put our feet up,這是另一種表達。這個短語也是休息、放鬆的意思,字面上來看,是把腳擡起來放在沙發上的意思,而對海倫來說,就是放在桌子上。海倫,你應該把鞋子脫了的!

Helen: Sorry. So to put your feet up is all about relaxing and resting our feet. Ahh, lovely! Can we hear some more examples please?

海倫:抱歉。所以這個短語的意思就是讓你的腳得到休息,放鬆你的腳。哦,真舒服!我們再來看一些例子吧?

Rob: Yes Helen!

羅布:當然了,海倫!

You've been gardening all day, come inside and put your feet up.

你一整天都在做園藝工作,進來休息一下吧。

After working for the company for 30 years, Jim has decided it's time to finally put his feet up and retire.

吉姆爲這家公司工作了30年,他認爲現在是時候休息了,於是他決定辭職。

Rob: If he's retiring he'll be putting his feet up for a long time. But Helen we've got work to do, so back on your feet.

羅布:如果他打算辭職,那他要休息很長一段時間了。可是海倫,我們還有工作要做,現在起來吧。

Helen: You want me to put the weight on my feet now?

海倫:你現在想讓我站起來?

Rob: I'm afraid so. It's time to go shopping.

羅布:恐怕是的。現在是去購物的時間了。

Helen: Shopping! Why didn't you say. Look, I'm back on my feet now.

海倫:購物!你怎麼不早說呢。看,我站起來了。

Rob: That was quick. OK, best foot forward, off to the supermarket we go–left, right, left, right…

羅布:動作真是快啊。好,我們全力向超市進發,左,右,左,右……

Helen: Shopping at the supermarket!

海倫:去超市購物!

Rob: Yes, the supermarket Helen. Bye Bye!

羅布:海倫,對啊,去超市。再見!

Helen: Bye.

海倫:再見!

Rob: Come on–left, right, left right, keep moving those feet.

羅布:快點,左,右,左,右,繼續前進的腳步。

重點講解:
1. stand up
站;立;站立;
eg. We waited, standing up, for an hour.
我們站着等了 1 小時。
eg. He was uncertain whether to stand up or remain sitting.
他吃不準站好還是坐好。
2. take the weight off one's feet
放鬆;休息;
eg. Come and sit down and take the weight off your feet for a while.
來坐下歇一會兒吧。
eg. After standing serving in the shop all day, I really need to take the weight off my feet in the evening.
在店裏當營業員站了整整一天,晚上我確實需要坐下來好好息一息。
3. put one's feet up
(尤指架起雙腳)坐下(或躺下)休息,放鬆;
eg. I should advise you to put your feet up and sleep it off.
我該建議你休息一下,睡上一覺。
eg. After supper he'd put his feet up and read. It was a pleasant prospect.
晚飯後他會支起雙腿,歇一歇,看看書。那真是件很愜意的事情。
4. take off
脫下,脫掉(衣物);
eg. Take off those foul clothes and let me wash them.
脫下那些髒衣服讓我洗一洗。
eg. We take off our hats to those who are quietly working hard.
我們對那些默默無聞地刻苦用功的人脫帽表示敬意。
5. on one's feet
站立;站着;
eg. Everyone was on their feet applauding wildly.
每個人都站起身來熱烈鼓掌。
eg. Being a shop assistant means that you're on your feet all day long.
當店員就意味着你得整天站着。
6. best foot forward
全力以赴;盡最大努力;
eg. Put your best foot forward and work on the assumption that there is an acceptable solution to every problem you are likely to face.
要盡力而爲,要相信你可能遇到的每一個問題都會有一個適當的解決方案
eg. Put your best foot forward and you will succeed.
只要全力以赴你會成功。

猜你喜歡

熱點閱讀

最新文章