口語英語實用生活英語口語

美語情景對話 第394期:Uniquely Hawaiian 獨特的夏威夷

本文已影響 1.83W人 

Todd: So, hello, Mitchell, right?

託德:你好,米切爾,你好嗎?

Mitchell: Yes. Nice to meet you.

米切爾:我很好。很高興見到你。

Todd: Nice to meet you. Now Mitchell, you're from Hawaii?

託德:很高興見到你。米切爾,你來自夏威夷,對吧?

Mitchell: Yes, I am.

米切爾:對,是的。

Todd: That must be pretty cool. What's it like growing up in Hawaii?

託德:那裏一定非常涼爽。在夏威夷長大是什麼感覺?

Mitchell: Hawaii's really different compared to mainland America. I'm originally born in Ohio, but I moved to Hawaii when I was two. The culture's really different. Since everyone came from different backgrounds, for example, people, Chinese people, Philliphino people, Korean people, they all came from the plantation days. It's a mixed culture, and for example if, my friend's in Hawaii, if I look at one person, I don't know what nationality or race they are, because they have like six races in them.

米切爾:夏威夷與美國內陸地區非常不一樣。我是在俄亥俄州出生的,兩歲時隨家人搬去夏威夷。那裏的文化非常不同。因爲所有人都來自不同的背景,比如那裏有中國人、菲律賓人、韓國人等等,他們都是在種植園時期來到夏威夷的。那裏是混合型文化,舉個例子,我的朋友在夏威夷,如果我看到他們,我不確定他們的國籍或者是種族是什麼,因爲他們可能是六個種族的混血。

Todd: Really, yeah.

託德:真的嗎?

Todd: Well how about in Hawaii, when you think of Hawaii, what do you think of? Is it weather or food?

託德:那你怎麼看夏威夷,提起夏威夷,你會想到什麼?天氣還是食物?

Mitchell: Weather, food, and beach.

米切爾:是天氣、食物和沙灘。

Todd: The beach. OK. Yeah, what island are you from by the way?

託德:沙灘。好,對了,你來自哪個島嶼?

Mitchell: I'm from Ohau.

米切爾:我來自歐胡島。

Todd: Ohau, OK, so obviously Ohau's more like...

託德:歐胡島,好,顯然歐胡島是……

Mitchell: Yeah, it's the capital of Hawaii. Honolulu is the capital. Ohau's the most populated island. Our population now is about one million.

米切爾:對,是夏威夷的首府。火奴魯魯是夏威夷首府。歐胡島是人口最密集的島嶼。現在我們那裏的人口約有1百萬。

Todd: Oh, really. And the whole island is one million.

託德:哦,真的嗎?整個島嶼的人口是1百萬。

Mitchell: Our own island, that is one million.

米切爾:是我們那個島的人口是1百萬。

Todd: Well, usually how many tourists are actually on the island at the same time?

託德:一般去歐胡島旅遊的人有多少?

Mitchell: I would think at least 20,000.

米切爾:我想至少有2萬人。

Todd: Yeah, that's quite a bit.

託德:那真是很多人。

Mitchell: Yeah.

米切爾:對啊。

Todd: Yeah. So in Hawaii is it warm all year round? Sunny, and?

託德:好,那夏威夷是一整年都非常溫暖嗎?陽光明媚?

Mitchell: Well, the coldest it gets is when you are sleeping in the winter time, it'll hit like 69 degrees fahrenheit and that's when people are throwing on sweaters, the whole like winter.

米切爾:嗯,能感覺到最冷時候應該是冬天睡覺的時候,溫度約爲69華氏度,所以那時人們都穿上了線衣,整個冬天都是如此。

Todd: The coldest it gets is 70 degrees.

託德:最冷的時候是70華氏度左右。

Mitchell: Right, around like 66 I would think, when you are sleeping.

米切爾:對,我想睡覺的時候大概是66華氏度左右。

Todd: Man, wow, actually, that's farhenheit, that's the American system. How warm is that in centigrade? About 25?

託德:嘿,實際上那是按華氏度算的,這是美國的氣溫系統。那用攝氏度來表示是多少度呢?25度嗎?

Mitchell: 24, 25?

米切爾:24度或是25度吧?

Todd: Maybe, I don't even know. Interesting. What do you think is the best thing about living in Hawaii?

託德:可能是吧,我也不知道。有意思。你認爲在夏威夷生活最好的事情是什麼?

Mitchell: It'd have to be just the environment itself. There's, you know, everyone's like, we say 'Ohana' means family. Everyone treats everyone like, for example my friend's parents, I call them 'auntie' or something like that because they treat me as like I'm their own kids. It's the culture in general. It's a warm feeling culture. It's like, their not as shady. They'll welome you. When you come in they'll start feeding you food, you know it's like, you're not even hungry and they're feeding you. Also, you can't beat the beach. Surfing, body boarding, body surfing, canoe paddling.

米切爾:我想應該是環境本身。你知道,我們說的ohaha就是指家人。每個人對待其他人都一視如仁,舉個例子,我稱呼我朋友的母親爲阿姨,因爲他們像對待自己的孩子一樣對待我。這就是夏威夷的文化,一種能感受到溫暖的文化。他們不會那麼陰暗,他們會歡迎你。你去到別人家以後,他們就會請你吃飯,其實有時你並不餓,但是他們還是會請你吃飯。當然不能忘了海灘,衝浪、滑浪、人體衝浪還有划艇。

Todd: Ah, man, it sounds pretty good. OK, thanks Mitchelll.

託德:哦,夥計,聽起來太棒了。好,謝謝你,米切爾。

Mitchell: No worries. Thank you.

米切爾:不客氣。謝謝你。

美語情景對話 第394期:Uniquely Hawaiian 獨特的夏威夷

重點講解:
1. grow up
長大成人;成熟;
eg. But eventually, kids grow up and become teens.
但是,孩子終歸會成長並步入青少年時期。
eg. The child wish to be a great scientist when he grow up.
這個孩子夢想長大後成爲一名偉大的科學家。
2. compared to
相對…而言;對照;
eg. The bank offered to lend us$5000 but it's chickenfeed compared to what we need.
銀行提出給我們五千美元貸款,但這筆錢與我們所需要的數目相比是杯水車薪。
eg. His progress at school had been unspectacular compared to his brother.
和弟弟相比,他在學校裏的進步很不起眼。
3. think of
想到;想起;想出;
eg. Instead, we tend to think of alumni networks in the context of universities.
說起這樣的關係網,我們最先想到的就是大學的校友會。
eg. I can think of two scenarios.
我能想到的有兩種情況。
4. by the way
順便地;附帶說一句;
eg. By the way, why not drop in for a drink this evening?
順便說一句,今晚到我家串門喝一杯怎麼樣?
eg. By the way, lists are great. They're going to help you out a lot when you are trying to accomplish these goals.
順便說一句,清單很棒。它們會在你嘗試實現這些目標時非常有用。
5. all year round
全年;一年到頭;
eg. The rare plant can grow as tall as 60cm and flowers all year round.
這種珍稀的植物能長到60釐米高,而且一年四季開花。
eg. He and his wife are busy all year round .
他和他妻子一年忙到頭。

猜你喜歡

熱點閱讀

最新文章